Are you looking for an air purifier to keep your house free from mold?
Perfect! In this proHVACinfo review, we’ll cover:
- What to look for in the best air purifier for mold (remember these things before buying)
- How to tell the best air purifiers from the rest (don’t fall for this marketing trick)
- The best air purifiers for mold (2021 Review)
Before getting into the details, let’s take a quick look at our 5 top picks:
Our Top 5 Air Purifiers for Mold
- GermGuardian AC9200 Air Purifier (Our Top Pick)
- PureGuardian AP2200CA Air Purifier (Best Budget Pick)
- Alen BreatheSmart FLEX-Silver Air Purifier (High-End Pick)
What to Look for in the Best Air Purifier for Mold
When shopping for a new air purifier for mold, there five big things to keep in mind. Let’s take a look:
- Targeted pollutant
- Noise level
- Filtration system
- Appliance features
See our article: How Does an Air Purifier Work?
It’s essential to choose an air purifier suitable for the size of the room. Air purifiers come in a variety of sizes, cleaning capacities, and efficiency ratinngs.
An air purifier’s cleaning capacity is based on a metric called the clean air delivery rate (CADR). CADR is simply the measurement of the purifier’s efficiency (the amount of clean air the device can deliver in an area of a particular size).
Another useful metric is cubic feet per minute (“CFM”), which tells you how much clean air the purifier can circulate every 60 seconds.
Of course, the higher the CADR and higher the CFM, the bigger the room the purifier can handle.
This handy table below shows minimum CADRs for various room sizes.
Purifiers are often listed with two CADRs, one for particles (often labelled simply as “pollen”), and one for smoke.
Be sure to consider the CADR for the pollutant you’re looking to eliminate (more on that below)
If you have a specific air pollutant that’s motivating your purchase, of course that’s a top consideration.
Most air purifiers come with two types of filters: a particle filter designed to remove microscopic pollutants from the air, and an activated carbon filter which helps deal with gasses and odors.
You’re here because you want an air purifier for mold. Mold is comprised of fungus that tends to release an unpleasant odor. For that reason, we recommend you get an air purifier that has both a good particle filter and an activated charcoal filter. The particle filter will work to remove microscopic mold spores from the air before you breathe it in.
The activated charcoal filter will work to remove the odor mold can cause from the air.
If the mold in your house causes some allergies and respiratory issues, you may want to keep your air purifier running throughout the day (and probably overnight as well). This means operating noise level is important.
The noise from a typical air purifier is usually minimal, ambient noise. However, the noise level varies depending by model and operating speed.
The noise level of a purifier is measured by decibels dB, and each model will have its decibels on the product specifications. We recommend an air purifier’s noise volume be around 32 dB.
Filtration is the backbone of any air purification device, so the best purifiers meet a certain filtration standard.
The highest quality purifier filters earn the designation known as HEPA filter (often referred to as “True HEPA”).
Warning! Some manufacturers label their filtration system as “HEPA-like.” If you’re looking for the most effective air filtration, be sure to stick with air purifiers that have “HEPA” or “True HEPA” in the description.
Air purifiers come with a variety of add-on features. Of course, you are the best judge of what features matter most to you.
Below is a list of more common features so you’ll know what to look for when shopping.
- Digital controls for easy access to settings
- Filter replacement indicators to help you know when the filter needs cleaning
- Pre-filter to capture the largest particles and protect the internal filters
- Adjustable fan speeds to speed up or slow down the air cleaning process.
- Programmable timer to save energy and keep the device from running when you don’t want it to
- Air quality sensors to monitor the air for particular pollutants and automatically adjust the purifier to the appropriate level needed to eliminate these impurities
- Nightlight in case you’ll use your filter in a bedroom
- Carrying handle for easy moving of your device between rooms without hassle
- Remote control for easy operation
The Top 5 Air Purifiers for Mold
1. Germ Guardian AC9200WCA Air Purifier (Our Top Pick)
Out top pick when it comes to air purifiers for mold is the Germ Guardian AC9200WCA Air Purifier. With its CADR rating of 265 pollen, 216 dust/smoke, this device can efficiently serve large rooms of up to 350 square feet. It’s also quiet, running at just 12db.
The Germ Guardian AC9200WCA has a true HEPA filter, activated carbon filter, and UV-C light filter. It also has a carrying handle, ultra-quiet mode, programmable timer, and a powerful fan customized with 5-speeds settings.
- Energy Star rated
- A powerful UV-C light filter
- Excellent performance in dealing with mold
- Pre-filter included
- Programmable timer included
- 3-year warranty
- Slightly noisier at higher settings
- Relatively high filter costs
- Doesn’t include a smart sensor
2. PureGuardian AP2200CA Air Purifier (Best Budget Pick)
The PureGuardian A2200CA Air Purifier is designed to effectively deal with mold in smaller rooms.
This air purifying machine comes with a UV-C filtration system, which is a great solution for mold removal.
This purifier has a true HEPA filter, activated carbon filter, and a multi-layer high-performance allergen filter that captures mold and airborne particles.
Additionally, the PureGuardian AP2200CA comes with a 3-speed fan you can adjust to your needs.
- Modern and compact design
- HEPA and carbon elements incorporated in one package
- “Clean filter” indicator to let you know when the filters need cleaning
- UV-C technology
- Some consumers have reported that the UV light indicator is too bright for sleeping at night
- Can be noisy on the highest setting
3. Alen BreatheSmart FLEX Air Purifier (High-End Pick)
The Alen BreatheSmart FLEX-Silver Air Purifier has a sleek design and was developed by NASA airflow engineers. With a CADR of 230 (Pollen) and 191 (Smoke), this model can serve an area of up to 700 square feet.
As far as noise: this unit runs at a range of dB from 39 up to 55, depending on fan speed.
It has a True HEPA filter created with an antimicrobial compound to prevent fungi growth (such as mold) and bacteria. This unit features laser smart technology that detects airborne particles up to 0.3 microns. It also has an air quality indicator, so you’ll always know if it’s time to adjust the fan speed.
- Quiet operation for the power it offers
- Comes with 4 fan speed options
- Lifetime warranty
- Has an auto mode that automatically adjusts the fan speed
- Some consumers reported poor packaging
- Plastic exterior can feel fragile
If you’re looking for a stylish purifier, the Airthereal APH260 Air Purifier is for you.
With a CADR of 152, this unit is capable of serving rooms up to 355 square feet and gives you a complete mold removal, filtration, and virus disinfection.
With its powerful filtration system, this purifier can effectively deal with any mold spores in your house. It produces between 28 and 49 dB of sound (depending on fan speed).
The Airthereal APH260 comes with a true HEPA filter, pre-filter, UV-C light filter, activated carbon filter, and an. It features a smart sensor that helps you keep track of your current indoor air quality and automatically adjust the fan speed based on your environment’s needs.
- A powerful filtration system
- Pre-filter included
- High fan power
- Smart sensor feature
- High energy consumption
If you’re looking to deal with mold and breathe purified air on a budget, the LEVOIT H13 LV-H132 Air Purifier is a safe bet. This device has true HEPA filter without the high price tag. It’s also quiet, running as low as 25dB on the lowest noise level
This air purifying machine uses a three-stage filtration process comprising a pre-filter, true HEPA filter, and activated carbon filter. The LEVOIT H13 LV-H132 features a handy nightlight with two brightness settings, 3 fan speeds, and a smart filter change indicator that reminds you when the filter needs replacement.
- Ultra-silent operation
- 3-speed fan
- Smart filter replacement reminder
- Nightlight feature
- 2-year warranty
- No air quality monitor
- No auto mode